Coronavirus: New prevention measures for the competitions
Team Skating Graces (GER) did the Coronavirus test this weekend. (Credits: Mario Huth - 2020)
The ISU (International Skating Union) updated this weekend the prevention measures for all accredited persons and announced that the ISU World Short Track Speed Skating Championships 2020 originally foreseen on March 13-15, cannot be staged. A synchro team in Europe has also been tested.
During the coming weeks, the ISU (International Skating Union) will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether this important championship could possibly be held later in the year.
Anyway, all other ISU events for the season 2019/20 remain scheduled as planned. In this regard, the ISU explained on Saturday that they are closely following the evolution of the Coronavirus and will follow the recommendations provided by the World Health Organization and the competent local authorities.
"Anyone with ANY symptoms of acute illness shall NOT be traveling to ISU events," explained the ISU in a public release on Saturday evening.
"Anyone seeking accreditation for ISU events will be required to complete the ISU questionnaire, which includes a temperature check. Anyone with an acute illness or temperature will not be granted an accreditation. Instead, they will be provided with a mask, isolated and will follow the protocol of the host country for testing and quarantine," added the ISU.
2. Health checks can be done periodically throughout the event.
3. Tests for coronavirus on anyone with a temperature.
4. Masks for anyone who has cold-like symptoms or requests one. Please note that masks are not recommended for anyone who is healthy. Masks are recommended for anyone with symptoms, said the ISU.
5. Isolation room(s) to be available if necessary
6. Hand sanitizer throughout the venue and the hotel
7. Gloves to be available if requested
8. Reinforce education regarding frequent hand washing, use of hand gel and cough etiquette.
9. Reduce handshaking and close physical contact
For example, the World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships in two weeks in Great Britain remains scheduled, as well as the competition Jihlavsky jezek held on 21st March in Czech Republic. "We watch carefully the situation. We have 56 teams from 9 states and are very looking forward to our event", noted the Jihlavsky jezek Organizing Committee.
Note that the entire German team Skating Graces who participated in the Spring Cup in Italy two weeks ago, underwent tests on Saturday. The results fell on Sunday and all are negative.
Results - TOP 3
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2020
MAR 13, 2020 - MAR 15, 2020
|1||Team Fintastic (FIN)||205.94|
|3||Crystal Ice (RUS)||200.09|